The Records Management Office is dedicated to assisting all staff and faculty to improve their record keeping practices, ensuring that records are retained securely, in a cost effective way, while meeting compliance requirements.
Services free of charge
- Work with units to identify record keeping issues and concerns
- Provide guidelines on best practices
- Collaboration on records management projects
- Train staff and faculty on topics related to retention periods, management, storage, and disposition
- Conduct records survey to identify what types of records currently exist in the unit eRecords Management
UBC now has on campus records storage managed by the Records Management Office. In addition we provide shredding of paper and digital media (dvd’s, cd’s, floppies,etc). Please contact the RMO for information about services and prices.
More About Records Management
Records are one of the most valuable resources of the University. Records provide evidence of decision-making, detail rights and responsibilities, show legislative and institutional compliance, and help us do our jobs better. Records need to be properly and accurately managed to maximize storage and be cost effective. With the implementation of sound records management practices, it is possible to:
- Control document creation, retention, and disposition
- Improve efficient access to information
- Be cost effective by utilizing the on-campus storage facilities rather than expensive office space
- Maximize safety and risks knowing that your records are retained appropriately
- Ensure that all routine records are destroyed regularly and that archival records are maintained permanently
- Ensure records are managed confidentially
The Records Management Office is dedicated to assisting all staff and faculty to improve their record keeping practices. We provide teaching tools and advise on the life-cycle of all records from creation to destruction, working closely with the University Archives to identify enduring historical records.